Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Charlotte Church - A Karaoke Superstar

When you have 6 children and 15 grandchildren like my wife, Judy, and I have, you don't have to look very hard to find someone, actually more than one, in fact, who loves karaoke and gets a big kick out of entertaining themselves, and all within their hearing, at any opportunity. Actually, I have to admit, as embarrassing as it is sometimes to watch, and sometimes even more painful to listen to, we have on numerous occasions been thoroughly amused by karaoke performers achieving a measure of the fame and stardom they envision themselves claiming.

Perhaps because of that interest, one of our many, I can assure you, I follow the previous week's news on the topic from Google Alerts. This past week, I noted with satisfaction a brief report in the Feminine.co.uk feed that Charlotte Church is a very big fan of karaoke herself. In fact, she has apparently begun seriously considering pursuing a return to the spotlight as she has contemplated her growing obsession with singing karaoke.

According to the Feminine report, and I paraphrase here, Charlotte Church began singing karaoke while taking some time off from work. The spell binding vocalist of 'Crazy Chick' fame - who most recently returned to British TV screens as a judge on 'Over the Rainbow' -the new talent search show from Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber - realized it was time to return to the spotlight when she couldn't stop herself getting up on stage when out with boyfriend Gavin Henson.

She said that she had been mostly staying at home caring for her children and increasingly felt the desire to get back into music. In her words, "I missed singing; every time we'd go out I'd end up in a karaoke bar and I'd completely steal the mic - 'Black Velvet', 'Walking in Memphis', 'Valerie'.

"So I thought, 'It's getting a little low-rent now, Charl', come on now, you should probably do this again professionally."

In discussing her comeback to music, 24-year-old Charlotte - who has a two-year-old daughter Ruby and 14-month-old son Dexter - promised that her new album will be a "lot better" than was her 'Tissues and Issues' effort that was released back in 2005.

She also reported that she had been doing quite a bit of songwriting recently. She said that she felt that she had some inner feelings that she wanted to express and that there's a little part of her that wants to be a poet. She also noted, though, that another factor was because so few, if any, really writes songs for her range, and I think we all can agree that that truly is exceptional.

Her interview with Feminine concluded with her commenting, "When I listen back to 'Tissues and Issues', that was kind of my first try at writing, and I think 'Ahhh! So little!' And I might think that of this (new) album in 10 years' time. But I don't think so. I think it's a lot better."

Well, personally, I hope Ms. Charlotte Church, does return to the recording studio so that more than those lucky pub patrons who happen to be present when she decides to give in to her karaoke cravings can listen and revel in hearing her wonderful voice. Just the thought of listening to an evening of karaoke entertainment the quality of Charlotte Church's singing intrigues me.

As for those of you, like us, who also are karaoke fans, and maybe karaoke superstars to be, take heart that counted among us is a talent the likes of Charlotte Church. And if performing karaoke is a very big passion for you and you're motivated to become as good at it as you can be, remember that, as with most everything else, practice goes a long way toward improving your performance and polishing your musical routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment